The meal I struggled the most with when I switched to Paleo was the breakfast. After having had the same breakfast meal for over twenty years, which consisted in a couple of toasts with butter and a coffee latte, it seemed there couldn't be any other quick weekday breakfast options for me.
I mean, who makes sweet potato pancakes or eggs Benedict on artichoke hearts at 7am before going to work? I needed to find simple breakfasts for busy mornings, or even better, a breakfast that I could make ahead the night before.
Over the years I've been on the Paleo diet, I've had several breakfast options. For a long time I had homemade granola or smoothies but I found them a little bit hassle to make daily. I also tried with frittatas, which are great because it's just mixed together and place in the oven, but unfortunately frittatas don't work with my metabolism at 8am so for me it's categorised as a brunch meal.
So finally I got the perfect breakfast that it makes me jump out of bed!. This strawberries chia seeds parfait is super healthy, it can be made ahead the day before aaand... it can be a grab-and-go breakfast !
While the recipe's name is berries chia seeds, this parfait actually has granola, peaches, blackberries and dark chocolate shavings on it.
I love to eat these parfaits enjoying every layer; first, picking with my hands the fruit, tasting the blackberries at a time and then the pieces of peaches. After that I grab a spoon and carefully I eat the chocolate shavings letting it melt in my mouth. Lastly, I scoop out the granola with some straberry chia seed pudding leaving for the end the slices of strawberries.
Berries chia seeds parfait breakfast
The perfect breakfast that it would make you jump out of bed!. This strawberries chia seeds parfait is super healthy, it can be made ahead the day before and... it can be a grab-and-go breakfast !
8 large fresh strawberries, washed, stems removed and chopped.
2 large strawberries, washed, stem removed and cut in slices
1 cup almond milk (or plant-based milk)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 cup granola (I used Nature's Path)
2 tablespoons chocolate shavings
2 peaches, cut in slices
10 fresh blackberries
- Place the chopped strawberries and the almond milk in the bowl of a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes until completely smooth.
- In a bowl, pour the strawberry smoothy, the chia seeds and cinnamon and using a wire whisk mix to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the seeds absorb all the liquid.
- Pour the mixture into a jar with lid, if you're planning to take it on the go, or a glass until half full, then place the strawberries slices around the sides of the glass.
- For the second layer, spoon in half of the granola and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings.
- Top with the slices of one peach and half of the blackberries and don't forget to sprinkle more chocolate shavings!
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make the second parfait Enjoy!
Recipe by Lau Sunday cooks